- Beyond the Valley of the Mastodons and a Visit from Channel 8
- Horse Toe Bones and 14,000 Year Old Human Shit
- Happy International Museum Day!!
- End of a Chapter
- Visit Cahokia
- Student Research Posters, Part 2
- Student Research Posters, Part 1
- Appreciate Your Museums While They’re Around
- Suzanne Eckert Lecture; Telling their story through clay
- Bison antiquus… in 3D!
- Near Fort Sumner, New Mexico Next Week? Why not visit the Bosque Redondo Memorial for some food and history?
- Can We expect to Find Ice-Age Artifacts in the Newly Melting Ice?
- Pleistocene Pecans (Carya illinoinensis)
- Preprint of 3D Data Paper for Clovis Artifacts from the Gault Site available on SocArXiv — SELDEN3D
- Preprint of 3D Data Paper for Clovis Artifacts from Blackwater Draw National Historic Landmark available on SocArXiv — SELDEN3D
- Solar Astronomy at Stonehenge — Wessex Guided Tours
- Reality of Climate Fluxuation
- Heinrich Events Caused Annual Mass Whale Strandings during the Pleistocene and early Holocene
- 3D Clovis Wrench, Shaft Straightener or Rope Tool — selden3d
- 3D Clovis Blade Core from Kincaid Shelter — selden3d
- In Memoriam: James J. Hester
- Agate Basin Points from Blackwater Draw NHS
- The smoking gun ‘proving ancient man killed woolly mammoth 45,000 years ago’
- Smilodon Tracks in Argentina
- Shelf Life, Part 1
- anthropology Archaeology atlatl bison Blackwater Draw blogging Climate Studies Clovis Clovis site Ethics fauna field school Field Work First Americans Folsom Geoarchaeology History lithic analysis mammoth museum interpretation Paleoindian paleontology Photography pleistocene pottery pre-clovis primitive technology public archaeology science Uncategorized
Category Archives: atlatl
A few photos from the Blackwater Draw Atlatl 2013.
The 2013 Blackater Draw Atlatl Competition is this Saturday, October 26th. Eastern New Mexico University is hosting the 13th Annual Fall Atlatl Competition on Saturday, Oct. 26, at the Blackwater Draw Archaeological Site on Highway 467 between Clovis and Portales … Continue reading
Download the pdf here.
Mark your calendar…. October 27th Join us for the 12th Annual Blackwater Draw Atlatl Competition Check back soon for more details and the official poster.
This weekend Mastodon State Park, a location of Pleistocene age fossil deposits, in Imperial, Missouri will be featuring “Archaeology Days”. Admission is free and activities include demonstrations on flintknapping, rock art, and clothing manufacture. Additionally, visitors will have the opportunity … Continue reading
Join us at the Blackwater Draw site for the 11th Annual Fall Atlatl Competition. Whether you are new to dart throwing or have been at it for years, everyone is invited to participate in the 2011 Atlatl Throw. Learn more … Continue reading
Thanks to all who braved the heat to come out for the New Mexico Prehistory Weekend this year. Pottery firing was done off-site due to an open flame ban but the results were remarkable. The work of Ulysses Reid is … Continue reading
LA3324.32904: Unfluted Folsom projectile point fragment made of Alibates agate. This artifact was excavated from the Blackwater Draw North Bank in 1963 by J. Collins. This fragment was found in the Folsom-age horizon just 36 cm (14 inches) below the … Continue reading
A clovis point found in association with a fibula from Mammoth I in the North Bank. This excavation was conducted by the El Llano Archaeological Society in 1962.
LA3324.25325 (left) Scottsbluff projectile point of gray chert. LA3324.25287 (right) Scottsbluff projectile point of gray chert. These two Scottsbluff projectile points were excavated in 1972 by Dominique Stevens. Both points were recovered from the carbonaceous silt stratigraphic level of the … Continue reading
Photos from the October 2010 Atlatl Competition are up. Windy weather added a new level of difficulty to the target throws. The turnout was excellent with participants traveling from as far as Roswell, northern New Mexico, and Austin to take … Continue reading
Saturday the 23rd of October. Atlatl and spearthrowers of all types welcome. (No stone tips please). Gates open and registration to compete begins at 9:00 am. Practice target opens at 9:00. Field round competition beginning around 10:00 am and will … Continue reading