- 3D Scanning
- Oleta Joanne Dickenson, Obituary
- Mammoths in Corvallis, Oregon
- Sweet Corn Our Ancestors Would Recognize©
- Quick Tips: Archaeological Techniques –Use of Isotopes in Archaeology.
- Upper Paleolithic Tool Kit Essential Skills
- UF9076–A Complete Skull and Jaws of a Giant Lion (Panthera atrox) Found in the Ichetucknee River, Florida
- Morning Foragers
- Wild Squash (Cucurbita sp.) was Abundant during the Pleistocene
- Projectile Points from the Upper Magdalenian; expanding horizons beyond North America
- Pleistocene Megafauna Wallows and Southern Appalachian Bogs
- Failed in Production
- Large Pleistocene Carnivores Kept Megaherbivore Populations in Check
- 2015 Atlatl Day at Blackwater Draw
- Another Clovis Point
- Spring Polished
- Clovis Point
- Folsom Point
- The Art of Aaron Kuehn
- Survival of the Fittest and Dwarfism–A Paradox
- Palmyra: A Lamentation
- Quick Tips: Use of Phytoliths in Archaeology.
- Working on the Re-model
- anthropology Archaeology atlatl bison Blackwater Draw blogging Climate Studies Clovis Clovis site Ethics fauna field school Field Work First Americans Folsom Geoarchaeology History lithic analysis mammoth museum interpretation Paleoindian paleontology Photography pleistocene pottery pre-clovis primitive technology public archaeology science Uncategorized
Category Archives: atlatl
A few photos from the Blackwater Draw Atlatl 2013.
The 2013 Blackater Draw Atlatl Competition is this Saturday, October 26th. Eastern New Mexico University is hosting the 13th Annual Fall Atlatl Competition on Saturday, Oct. 26, at the Blackwater Draw Archaeological Site on Highway 467 between Clovis and Portales … Continue reading
Download the pdf here.
Mark your calendar…. October 27th Join us for the 12th Annual Blackwater Draw Atlatl Competition Check back soon for more details and the official poster.
This weekend Mastodon State Park, a location of Pleistocene age fossil deposits, in Imperial, Missouri will be featuring “Archaeology Days”. Admission is free and activities include demonstrations on flintknapping, rock art, and clothing manufacture. Additionally, visitors will have the opportunity … Continue reading
Join us at the Blackwater Draw site for the 11th Annual Fall Atlatl Competition. Whether you are new to dart throwing or have been at it for years, everyone is invited to participate in the 2011 Atlatl Throw. Learn more … Continue reading
Thanks to all who braved the heat to come out for the New Mexico Prehistory Weekend this year. Pottery firing was done off-site due to an open flame ban but the results were remarkable. The work of Ulysses Reid is … Continue reading
LA3324.32904: Unfluted Folsom projectile point fragment made of Alibates agate. This artifact was excavated from the Blackwater Draw North Bank in 1963 by J. Collins. This fragment was found in the Folsom-age horizon just 36 cm (14 inches) below the … Continue reading
A clovis point found in association with a fibula from Mammoth I in the North Bank. This excavation was conducted by the El Llano Archaeological Society in 1962.
LA3324.25325 (left) Scottsbluff projectile point of gray chert. LA3324.25287 (right) Scottsbluff projectile point of gray chert. These two Scottsbluff projectile points were excavated in 1972 by Dominique Stevens. Both points were recovered from the carbonaceous silt stratigraphic level of the … Continue reading
Photos from the October 2010 Atlatl Competition are up. Windy weather added a new level of difficulty to the target throws. The turnout was excellent with participants traveling from as far as Roswell, northern New Mexico, and Austin to take … Continue reading
Saturday the 23rd of October. Atlatl and spearthrowers of all types welcome. (No stone tips please). Gates open and registration to compete begins at 9:00 am. Practice target opens at 9:00. Field round competition beginning around 10:00 am and will … Continue reading