- Beyond the Valley of the Mastodons and a Visit from Channel 8
- Horse Toe Bones and 14,000 Year Old Human Shit
- Happy International Museum Day!!
- End of a Chapter
- Visit Cahokia
- Student Research Posters, Part 2
- Student Research Posters, Part 1
- Appreciate Your Museums While They’re Around
- Suzanne Eckert Lecture; Telling their story through clay
- Bison antiquus… in 3D!
- Near Fort Sumner, New Mexico Next Week? Why not visit the Bosque Redondo Memorial for some food and history?
- Can We expect to Find Ice-Age Artifacts in the Newly Melting Ice?
- Pleistocene Pecans (Carya illinoinensis)
- Preprint of 3D Data Paper for Clovis Artifacts from the Gault Site available on SocArXiv — SELDEN3D
- Preprint of 3D Data Paper for Clovis Artifacts from Blackwater Draw National Historic Landmark available on SocArXiv — SELDEN3D
- Solar Astronomy at Stonehenge — Wessex Guided Tours
- Reality of Climate Fluxuation
- Heinrich Events Caused Annual Mass Whale Strandings during the Pleistocene and early Holocene
- 3D Clovis Wrench, Shaft Straightener or Rope Tool — selden3d
- 3D Clovis Blade Core from Kincaid Shelter — selden3d
- In Memoriam: James J. Hester
- Agate Basin Points from Blackwater Draw NHS
- The smoking gun ‘proving ancient man killed woolly mammoth 45,000 years ago’
- Smilodon Tracks in Argentina
- Shelf Life, Part 1
- anthropology Archaeology atlatl bison Blackwater Draw blogging Climate Studies Clovis Clovis site Ethics fauna field school Field Work First Americans Folsom Geoarchaeology History lithic analysis mammoth museum interpretation Paleoindian paleontology Photography pleistocene pottery pre-clovis primitive technology public archaeology science Uncategorized
Category Archives: Clovis
I officially stepped down today as the Director and driving force of the Clovis Site and Museum (a.k.a. Blackwater Draw National Historic Landmark). It was with mixed feelings that I decided it was time to move on from what has … Continue reading
ENMU – Clovis Point (LA3324-24156) by Dr. Robert Z. Selden Jr. on Sketchfab From the North Bank mammoth kills.
IMPLICATIONS FROM CHEMICAL, STRUCTURAL AND MINERALOGICAL STUDIES OF MAGNETIC MICROSPHERULES FROM AROUND THE LOWER YOUNGER DRYAS BOUNDARY (NEW MEXICO, USA) Andronikov et. al. 2016 Printed in the Swedish Society for Anthropology and Geography ABSTRACT. Hollow magnetic microspherules from along the … Continue reading
Another great one that really benefits from scanning. A Clovis uniface found in the North Bank Mammoth kills in the early 1960s. Enjoy! ENMU – Clovis Uniface (LA3324-24121) by Dr. Robert Z. Selden Jr. on Sketchfab
Here’s a closer look at a Clovis point that appears to have failed in production. It looks like it was carried around and used as a general cutting tool in it’s second life-cycle then dropped near a mammoth kill. Beautiful … Continue reading
Here is a great photo-mosaic from the North Bank excavations in the early 1960s. The humans in the background examining the stratigraphy really put the Clovis-age mammoths in their proper scale. Unfortunately, Mammoth IV in the background is covered in … Continue reading
A short while ago Dr. Francis Smiley from Northern Arizona University suggested making some new casts of the collections from the Clovis type-site. We were able to meet in Albuquerque and borrow some lab space from generous colleagues at the … Continue reading
Bennett, Stacey D. 2014 Blackwater Locality 1: Synthesis of South Bank Archaeology 1933-2013. Unpublished Masters Thesis, Department of Anthropology and Applied Archaeology, Eastern New Mexico University, Portales. The S.D. Bennett Thesis is now available for download HERE.
The South Bank of the Clovis site refers to an area at the southern end of the prehistoric pond around which lie a group of cultural sites spanning a time from the end of the last ice age until recent … Continue reading