- Bison antiquus… in 3D!
- Near Fort Sumner, New Mexico Next Week? Why not visit the Bosque Redondo Memorial for some food and history?
- Can We expect to Find Ice-Age Artifacts in the Newly Melting Ice?
- Pleistocene Pecans (Carya illinoinensis)
- Preprint of 3D Data Paper for Clovis Artifacts from the Gault Site available on SocArXiv — SELDEN3D
- Preprint of 3D Data Paper for Clovis Artifacts from Blackwater Draw National Historic Landmark available on SocArXiv — SELDEN3D
- Solar Astronomy at Stonehenge — Wessex Guided Tours
- Reality of Climate Fluxuation
- Heinrich Events Caused Annual Mass Whale Strandings during the Pleistocene and early Holocene
- 3D Clovis Wrench, Shaft Straightener or Rope Tool — selden3d
- 3D Clovis Blade Core from Kincaid Shelter — selden3d
- In Memoriam: James J. Hester
- Agate Basin Points from Blackwater Draw NHS
- The smoking gun ‘proving ancient man killed woolly mammoth 45,000 years ago’
- Smilodon Tracks in Argentina
- Shelf Life, Part 1
- When evolution just gives up – The mighty Sloth
- 3D Cardboard Puzzle–Clovis Point
- Another Mammoth Killer
- Coronado’s Entrada, a letter from the road, 1541
- The Largest Saber-toothed Cat, Smilodon populator — GeorgiaBeforePeople
- More About the Lower Younger Dryas Boundary
- The Eurasian Steppe Mammoth (Mammuthus trogontherii) may be the same species as the North American Mammoth (Mammuthus columbi)
- Clovis Unifacial Knife
- anthropology Archaeology atlatl bison Blackwater Draw blogging Climate Studies Clovis Clovis site Ethics fauna field school Field Work First Americans Folsom Geoarchaeology History lithic analysis mammoth museum interpretation Paleoindian paleontology Photography pleistocene pottery pre-clovis primitive technology public archaeology science Uncategorized
Tag Archives: atlatl
It’s been seven years since this fell on Halloween and it was great to see people dress in costume to come out; especially the little kids. Thanks to all who attended and supported the Mu Alpha Nu Atlatl Day again … Continue reading
A few photos from the Blackwater Draw Atlatl 2013.
The 2013 Blackater Draw Atlatl Competition is this Saturday, October 26th. Eastern New Mexico University is hosting the 13th Annual Fall Atlatl Competition on Saturday, Oct. 26, at the Blackwater Draw Archaeological Site on Highway 467 between Clovis and Portales … Continue reading
A fun, and remarkably good-looking, mammoth sculpture in Bluff, Utah. Set to burn on the solstice to honor the mammoth petroglyphs found nearby. I love Bluff and wish I could get up there for the event.
Mark your calendar…. October 27th Join us for the 12th Annual Blackwater Draw Atlatl Competition Check back soon for more details and the official poster.
Join us at the Blackwater Draw site for the 11th Annual Fall Atlatl Competition. Whether you are new to dart throwing or have been at it for years, everyone is invited to participate in the 2011 Atlatl Throw. Learn more … Continue reading
LA3324.32904: Unfluted Folsom projectile point fragment made of Alibates agate. This artifact was excavated from the Blackwater Draw North Bank in 1963 by J. Collins. This fragment was found in the Folsom-age horizon just 36 cm (14 inches) below the … Continue reading
Three Folsom-age projectile point bases from various areas of the Blackwater Draw site. LA3324.5036 (top left) was excavated in 1989 during investigations of the South Bank. This projectile point base was found in association with extinct bison. LA3324.24134 (top right) … Continue reading
Blackwater Draw National Landmark hosted another successful atlatl and dart building workshop. Thanks to everyone who participated!
October 23, 10:00 am-5:00 pm Blackwater Draw National Landmark will once again host the Autumn Atlatl throw at the site. There will be flintknapping demonstrations, primitive technologists, sandal and fiber work as well as an introduction to the spearthrower. Click … Continue reading
This season’s throw was held with near-perfect weather and an excellent attendance. There were 35 throwers and about 20 spectators. The event was focused on a field round and an ISAC throw. See the photos here: 2009 Atlatl Throw Photos